Sunday, March 20, 2011

Would a rose by any other name really smell as sweet?

Prompt #1- Names

A name says a lot about a person, or more likely their parents.  There are names like Sally and Richard, indicative of wholesome values and white picket fences (in an age where the name Dick didn’t warrant humiliation).  There are names like Rainbow and Sunshine, courtesy of the good ‘ole ‘70s.  There are names like Stormy, which give a child a career choice of stripper or weatherwoman.  Nigella screams “Whoops, we wanted a boy.”.  And you can always count on a Susan to be reliable.  Where my dad works, in child services, the names Crystal and Nevaeh are called out by distraught ‘Meth moms’.
Lily, my name, says a bit about my parents.  Nature-y, but not too big fans of sticking out.  Artistic, inadvertently trend-following, and altogether not that bad.  Of course, it doesn't tell you everything.  It doesn’t tell you that my artistic mom and dad are now health freaks and baby-snatchers (this name is not usually appreciated in the profession) respectively.  It doesn’t tell you that they both have girlfriends, that I feel my dad is more reliable than my mom, or that money is tight in my family. My name doesn't say much at all below the surface.
So what’s in a name?  Does it say who you are? No, not really.  Does it say who your parents thought you would be?  Only slightly.  Does it create a first impression for others?  No, most people find their final impression of you long before you mouth begins to open to introduce yourself.  Why do you like or dislike the name you’ve been given?  Truly, I’m curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment